Friday, October 9, 2009

Class #4 Food Network Magazine




Alright, obviously I am quite fond of the Food Network. I recently purchased my first copy of the Food Network Magazine and I love, love, loved it! Great articles, recipes and pictures. My husband loves soup so lucky for me in the October issue of this magazine they had a special pull out section - 50 Easy Soups. We chose the 20-Minute Chicken Tortilla Soup. This soup was simple, easy and delicious with a definite kick to it. I had to make a few changes to the recipe. We substituted chipotle for the ancho chilis and I asked my sweet husband to pick up a little Manchego cheese but he came back with Muenster - surprisingly a pretty good alternative! We made our own tortilla strips, lightly coated with olive oil and a little salt, cut into strips and in the oven at 400 for 10 minutes.
The reviews: Fred, "Very tasty. Just enough cilantro to not overpower. Loved the smokiness of the chipotle and loved how the aroma filled the house while cooking." Gianna, "Colorful and I like the tortilla strips - The chicken in the soup tastes delicious!" Elena, "Very, very spicy - too spicy for me. I like the cilantro and love the tortilla strips. Next time chop up the cilantro into small bits." Maria, "I like the color of the soup!"

I loved the simplicity of this soup and did not think it was too spicy at all. Really liked how the flavors came together so quickly. For the chicken I just picked up a roasted chicken from the deli at the grocery - very easy. The avocado, cheese and a little dollop of sour cream were perfect additions. This one is going in the DeLuca cookbook and everyone agreed we will have to have this soup again real soon.
Spicy Tortilla Soup
2 seeded, soaked ancho chiles, 1 onion, 2 tomatoes and 2 garlic cloves; fry in oil.
Add 6 cups chicken broth, 4 torn corn tortillas, some shredded cooked chicken and 1/2 cup cilantro; simmer until thick. Add salt; garnish with crisp tortilla strips, Mexican cheese, avocado, cilantro and lime juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment